Swampview 05-Jun-12
Swampview 05-Jun-12
Swampview 05-Jun-12
Butternut40 05-Jun-12
Diamond Dave 05-Jun-12
Butternut40 05-Jun-12

Date:02-Jun-12
Butternut40's Supporting Link

Check out and Discuss my Butternut40Acres hunting property! Hit the link above to view.

Date:02-Jun-12

Thanks Pat - Will be posting more. Gonna be spraying more round up tomorrow and plan on putting in a brassica plot for late season. I had a mixture of sunflowers and sorghum.

I don't think I will do sunflowers again. They went to seed too early and were wiped out by pheasants and various birds. Will stick with brassicas and maybe a strip of winter wheat.

Date:03-Jun-12

It looks great. The birds also devoured my sunflowers last year, but they look great and are easy to grow-great confidence builder for me at least!

Thanks!

Date:04-Jun-12

Deer really like the fresh shoots of the sunflower. If I were to do it again, I would plant the sunflowers a lot later and hunt over emerging plants.

Given my woods is surrounded, this year, by corn, beans and alfalfa, I'm gonna focus on a late season draw like brassica or winter wheat which worked out nicely in years past.

Pat, pm sent.

By: Bowme2

Very nice, Dale! What dates shall I put in for? ;)

Rick, there you are. Good hearing from you and hope all is well. One of these Springs we'll have to meet up on the Bud.

By: Bowme2

We're going next year... :)

By: 'Ike'

Pheasants, did you say Pheasants!?! :-)

Ike - did I say pheasants? I meant to say blackbirds :)

bowme2 - I'm due back, let me know the dates you're going. Can try to set up a rendezvous and share a couple of cold ones.

Date:05-Jun-12

Hey Butternuts. Nice looking spot you have there. Wish I could hunt some ducks there once in awhile. Heh, heh, heh. Seriously, nice looking sunflower plot. I took your advice and planted some black sunflower bird seed up at BW's "Al Gore" garden for sustainable living.

Swampview's MOBILE embedded Photo

By the way, here's the photo of our BW food plot that we planted late summer last year. We put in Field Rye as a cover crop along with Med. Red, Alsike, White Dutch and Ladino Clovers. This is my first mow of the year with the new toys! If you look closely, the rye cover crop worked like a charm. After one mow, the clovers are really taking off. Also, reseeded a bit, just in hopes of filling in some of the dirt areas.

Swampview's MOBILE embedded Photo

One more photo at the start of the project.

Nice looking rig you have there. Sure is the way to go especially with that mower and the roto tiller. I can see where one wouldn't want to stand behind that when you are mowing. Al Gore would be proud of you :) with the sunflowers.

Maybe we'll twack one over BW's plot this year, which is looking mighty fine.

Nice looking property you have Butternut. I like your idea of planting a late season draw type food plot given the crops surrounding your property. The aerial pic on your link gives a nice perspective of your property.

Swampview - Nice looking clover/field rye plot. The field rye looks to do a nice job of keeping the weeds down. Nice mower too!

Hey DDave, good hearing from you. Best to focus on the late season planting given the other type of hunting going on and ag fields.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.