WBowhunt 24-Apr-12
turkulese 24-Apr-12
Thornton 24-Apr-12
WBowhunt 25-Apr-12
'Ike' 25-Apr-12
Thornton 25-Apr-12

Date:25-Mar-12
WBowhunt's Supporting Link

Check out and Discuss my Food Plot property! Hit the link above to view. I only have 6 acres total and most is in Yard or Horse Pasture. But I am putting a mini-habitat for wildlife. To include a small pond. Multiple plots that range any where from 40x80' to 1/2 acre

Date:15-Apr-12

Spent yesterday digging out a small pond I had put in last year. It was only about 3x4 and 18 inches deep. But it seemed to really bring in more wildlife, as the closest water source is almost a half mile away. I dug out ( by hand ) to about 10x10 and 4 feet deep. Going this afternoon to get a pool liner from a friend who was getting rid of it. Gonna line the hole and then put about 6-8 inches of clay back on top of the liner and then hope for rain. I was amazed last year when I saw how much the deer were using it, along with turkey, birds, vultures and more. It is not far from my established mineral site. I will take some photos of the now empty and then hopefully later this summer add once it is established.

This is really cool, and it is obvious you don't mind working! Please keep us updated. I'm a big fan of micro-habitat projects, and I share your observations about how much wildlife you can attract with one. Good job and thanks for sharing!

By: cthunt

I dont know how dry it is down there but here it has not rained in quit some time if i was going to have a pond with a pool liner i would cover it on hot sunny days so the water you have does not evaporate JMO..

Date:16-Apr-12

Just added some updates and photo's to my property forum. I will try to update in about 6 weeks if we get an rain and any thing starts growing. I decided to also clear out my Garden seed supply. So I took all the seeds I had from the last couple years and planted them in the first 20 feet or so of my big plot. So, if any of it grows. It will be a mix of Sweet corn. Green beans, sweet Peas and some lettuce. Firgured it was better then thorwing them away.

Date:23-Apr-12

Well we got some rain. And I mean lots of rain. That pond I put in, it is almost full in just one weekend. It is just 10X10 and about 4' deep. But after the last 2 1/2 days rain it is over 3/4 full and I already have deer tracks all around it. I got to tell you, It took me 2 days of digging by hand and another 1/2 day to fill back in on top of the liner, but the deer sure seem to come to this water. I can't wait till this fall when my 11 year sits a stand for the first time just 30 yards away between the water hole and the corner of 2 food plots....

Date:24-Apr-12

WBowhunt's MOBILE embedded Photo

I have both the before and after the rains on the Property link. But here is the after 2 and half days of rain. The picture is deceiving as it is about 3' deep in the photo

That's nothing short of awesome! Love the fact you are passionate and have found a way to give back!

Thornton's embedded Photo

Dang that is hard digging! Where I live, I can rent a skidsteer for $175 per day plus fuel and have used it to build a small pond myself. I read that you used a liner? Maybe I should have done that because it took a year for my pond to hold water consistantly since the dirt had to pack and settle in.

Date:25-Apr-12

I wish I could have done that Thorton. I tried last year to use the bucket on the tractor, but there are some huge boulders and it just was not working. So I went the old fashion way. The liner helps early to hold water, but does have its down sides. I tried to grade a slow slope around the pond. But due to the rocks, 2 sides are steeper than I would like and Already when the deer access the pond from that side, the clay and mud slide on top of the liner and push down to the middle, exposing some of the liner. The passion really comes from my Son. I just love watching him get wound up and ask all kinds of questions about what and why and we had a lot of fun sitting on the porch in the evenings watching over the area and seeing all the wildlife.

By: 'Ike'

I like it (Envious!), great job!

Thornton's embedded Photo

At least when you build one by hand you can't do this! Cost me half a day's work and $140 to get it pulled out by a backhoe. I was trying to push a gravel bar out of my creek after I built my second pond. Turns out it wasn't a gravel bar but a mud bar covered with gravel lol.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.